Friday, November 09, 2007

SiCKO


SiCKO de Michael Moore
Originally uploaded by idealterna
If you have not yet seen this, it's out on DVD and absolutely worth seeing. Tragic and amazing...

9 comments:

Basil Epicurus said...

Yep, it blew my mind.

UmmLayla said...

I sooo want to see that! But alas, for netflix I must wait!

Susan said...

It was in my Netflix queue from the get-go, UL, but when I saw "Very long wait" up there, I decided to buy it, and then loan it out to friends/family.

Anonymous said...

Oh...pirate copies abound in video stores in Sarajevo so I saw it in August.

Really shocking, and really good. Most of those from outside the US who had also seen it were pretty surprised. Some asked me - do you think things will change? For those of you who have seen it - what do you think?

Susan said...

During the film they ask a French doctor that same question, Katie. He said, "No" and I tend to agree w/ him....sadly.

Anonymous said...

I don't have to see it to know that it won't change. Our congressional system is controlled by money... there is big money to be made in our medical system. Big insurance and big pharma own Congress - who are all provided with the best medical care - free - paid by the taxpayers. Thus it will stay private and insurance based... quality of care will continue to improve for the rich and deteriorate for the poor.

The sick and the dead don't tend to vote.

VS

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I think it could potentially change but it won't. It's my sense that lots of Americans see Michael Moore as harsh on the US, but he didn't even go to the Americans who would say "I work hard for my health insurance, and people shouldn't get that for free..."

Still, I think putting the situation into so many words (or whatever) as he has done will at least get some people to start thinking about it differently.

Susan said...

I the film did give all that time to people who had good jobs and presumably good insurance. I guess until it happens to you or someone you know, it's not a problem. I think I read somewhere that most bankruptcy cases are the result of medical bills (and I'm not even sure under the new law that all medical bills are forgiven).

Anonymous said...

yea, this film is truly amazing. it really inspired me to get involved in healthcare reform in america. that's why i work to support AARP who are trying to get congress to make Medicare available to the people who cannot afford it. you should check out their website at http://www.thisissoridiculous.com and sign their online petition and make your voice heard! you can also view videos, email Congress and make donations on the site as well!

~Jessica