
Some photos from late January...we do get sun here in the Pacific Northwest, contrary to what you see on TV shows and in the movies. This shot was taken from W. Seattle on a side street I stumbled upon when I went for a walk. I often compare spotting Mt. Rainier (seen in this photo) with seeing the pyramids in Cairos: it's how Seattlites determine the weather and how Cairenes determine the smog level. If it's a REALLY clear day we'll see Mt. Baker behind the city skyline.

I could see Mt. Baker w/ my naked eye, but not in the photo.



8 comments:
I had a flat on the 22nd floor of the tallest building in Zamalek for awhile - which looked back towards the pyramids. I have quite a collection of the various pollution-level views.
Of course, in Seattle it is more weather than pollution... I hope.
VS
Beautiful shots CG.
@ VS
What a fantastic view! My first year in Maadi I lived on the 6th floor with balconies facing the citadel. Pollution and the "khamsein" were the typical view obstructors, but like most of Cairo it was best seen at night.
@ Thanks, Mona!
My flat for the semester that I taught at AUC in 2001 I was just across from the flyovers from the Marriott in Zamalek and from my little balcony off the bedroom I had a view up the Nile... and there were many days that you could barely see across the river!!
VS
I remember being in Portland, OR for a June bishops' meeting one year and seeing Mt. Ranier took my breath away. I loved the weather and could not believe the roses! Ah to have some fresh air - smog free, and yes, even humidity would be nice. Maybe it would hide some of my wrinkles. Thanks for sharing such great photos!
I think you must have seen Mt. Hood in Portland-equally as beautiful. Another one of the region's volcanoes!
Is that a volcano?!!!
Welcome, keefieboy. Yeah, Mt. Rainier is a volcano (active by definition). The next closest would be Mt. Baker. A bit farther south and more famous is Mt. Saint Helens which erupted in the early 80s-we even found ash in Ohio (very far east). Rainier, if it erupted, wouldn't likely bring destruction to Seattle, but the farmlands around it would be screwed.
Post a Comment